Up Owners Club banner
481 - 494 of 494 Posts

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
I have the Alcars and just about to put them on for the winter.
Ditch the trims and go for old skool, poverty spec, council van steel wheels with just the bolts, look.

Honest and ultra cool.

"yeah, this is my GTI, see how I drive it through the snow."

Also don't wash it until March

:)

Bonus marks for fitting these green wheel nut indicators

I have only just seen this and you will be pleased to know that's exactly how I'm rolling this winter :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: The Doc

·
Registered
64 Posts

·
Registered
Up gti
178 Posts
Fitted. Not much but enough caliper clearance.
From tyreleader Steel wheels with winter tyres (LK 4 x 100.00 x 57.00)Goodyear UltraGrip 9+ M+S marking 185/55 R15 82TVW CORRADO G60 53 I 1781ccm 118 kW 09.1987-08.1991

10 minute check in less than ideal conditions (i.e.warm!). Understeers a bit but rides much better.
Any more pics of this mate, I think it's what the GTi should have come with, I find the larger alloys a bit too big for the small car?

·
Registered
964 Posts
Any more pics of this mate, I think it's what the GTi should have come with, I find the larger alloys a bit too big for the small car?
The wheels are the stand out feature of the GTi made for the job rather than pinched from the VW parts bin and really do make the car for me personally.

On smaller wheels they have looks even a mother would struggle to love 🙈🤣

·
Registered
125 Posts
The wheels are the stand out feature of the GTi made for the job rather than pinched from the VW parts bin and really do make the car for me personally.

On smaller wheels they have looks even a mother would struggle to love 🙈🤣
Here here (y):)

Reactions: Manc lad

·
Registered
Up gti
178 Posts
🤣🤣🤣
They are too big for the car in my opinion, plus they weigh a heap. Mines thankfully only have one chip in the laquer that I sorted right away, however, I'm just waiting for the spiderwebs in clear to begin.
I like the understated look this why I went for the up and took all the gti badges off :0
Also, given that before the remap I got left by an accord diesel I felt slightly emasculated lol.

·
Registered
169 Posts
They are like lead weights I put a spare one in my boarded garage loft yesterday nearly killed me getting it up the ladder....

But they really do it for me makes it like one of those cartoon car drawings from years ago 😎
Absolutely agree that the wheels totally make the GTi what it is personally. To me smaller wheels are lost in the arches and it becomes a normal up. Fine if that’s what you want but to me then misses the point.

·
Registered
Up gti
178 Posts
Absolutely agree that the wheels totally make the GTi what it is personally. To me smaller wheels are lost in the arches and it becomes a normal up. Fine if that’s what you want but to me then misses the point.
I
I agree too. And what it is is a triumph of marketing over engineering !

(Retreats to a safe distance....)
Was about to put this myself then thought better lol, I own a GTi and yes it's a great little car, but, before the new coilovers and a remap I dont feel it was much more than a tarted up tsi... :0

481 - 494 of 494 Posts