Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
decided to remove the rear wiper, I think it improves the look of the rear being all glass. I guess its not for everyone.

IMG_0393 by Ashy_87, on Flickr

·
Registered
423 Posts
Not sure about the wisdom of removing the wiper.....think you might regret it first encounter with mucky roads. But I do like the MPG>BHP sticker!! Where did you get that from?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sticker came from All Types this weekend. I suppose the no wiper isn't for everyone but i have two wing mirrors

·
Registered
423 Posts
Not for me, but it's good that you've posted a photo....sure you won't be the only one to do it as it does look better.

·
Registered
128 Posts
george929 said:
looks great that mate :p

Defiantlymakes the back look cleaner :p

Until it rains a little anyway

The rear door gets very mucky very quickly.

What is the MOT situation when you've removed a standard wiper ??
You probably need to inform your insurance company..
If you are shunted from behind in rain / mucky weather can you fall foul of the law / insurance with a loss adjuster voiding your insurance ??

Looks really nice though.

Dave

·
Registered
59 Posts
i actually used to do MOTs before my current work and the rear wiper isn't even tested and if its not there it cant be failed.. I do keep Up! to date with new mot rules and there has been no changes regarding a rear wiper. unlike todaysannouncementthat pre1960s cars will be MOT exempt!

my sister has and edition 30 mk5 gti. With a dewipered rear. and she told the insurance company she had, had it removed. to which they replied "don'tbe sillythat'snot a modification. its not different to a van"

Hey ho

P.S. Dave you love your Funny texts and crazy colours :p

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Most importantly is the extra 2 mpg we'll get, that wiper motor weighed about 5kg! A worthy sacrifice I think!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Does like nice and smooth , maybe the slight angle on the screen will mean the rain will keep it clean anyway? On apply that rain x stuff to it each time you wash.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ashly87 that looks good

I've removed that rear window scratching-thing from every car that I
just to have. Never found any use for it... quess I'm a little
different

·
Registered
421 Posts
Hmm not sure if I like or not, what do you plug the hole with and do you disconnect the wash bit as well?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Stainless said:
george929 said:

<font ="Apple-style-span" size="3" color="#cc0000">Defiantly makes the back look cleaner :p 

If you are shunted from behind in rain / mucky weather can you fall foul of the law / insurance with a loss adjuster voiding your insurance ??

Dave
It's absolutely irrelevant. As I used to work for an insurance company so it's one of the main things I think about as I know what they do to get out of paying out etc. Removing the rear wiper isn't something they would think about when it comes to a loss adjuster as it's the same as home insurance, think about it like changing the stereo in the car, that is a modification but if your claiming for your rear bumper the insurance company aren't going to say 'we aren't paying out because you didn't declare the stereo upgrade'.

I personally think it looks good obviously or I wouldn't have let him remove it and I find it pretty useless anyway so I'm quite happy with the finished product! Next thing is to lower the car, don't worry it won't be voiding my warranty and I promise I'll declare it on my insurance! I've gone for Eibach so it's TUV approved.Edited by: FreyaMx

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I used a 25mm blind rubber grommet, the ones used in electrical back boxes etc, fits perfectly and very closely matches the finish of the handle/button. I haven't disconnected the jet because that cones from the spoiler but I might look into pulling the fuse for it of its on it's own! Up to now the car hasn't got dirty enough to need the rear wiper and I hope to keep it that way!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Stainless said:
george929 said:

<font ="Apple-style-span" size="3" color="#cc0000">Defiantly makes the back look cleaner :p 

Yes...Until it rains....the back window gets really grubby.I think it's ridiculous taking the back wiper off!

Dave

·
Registered
58 Posts
That looks FANTASTIC

·
Registered
58 Posts
What did you attach the bung with?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Not for me, but mainly because I can't stand a wet back window, that I can't see out of. Wing mirrors doesn't show me directly behind my car. Each to their own.
i know my mechanic would test my rear wiper, but as people say its not a pass/fail, but anadvisory note if anything.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If its not there they can't test it
Friend of mine had a race prepared landrover defender and it passed the mot without shocks, just leaf springs!!!
Mate was shocked, tester said if its not there I can't test it!!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts