Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, Me and Samhead91 havent got our up yet (week24) but ive just ordered some numberplate hangers for it when it arrives. Used to have these on my MK2 Golf when i was 18 (Only 5 years ago :p) and they looked spot on, very VW. Probs gonna nicely furnish them with some UK legal pressed plates aswell.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150804930042?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_2168wt_952

Ive decided to get them because of seeing photos in the gallery of people in foreign countries where black numberplate surrounds come as standard :)

Edited by: Wrighty

·
Registered
315 Posts
How do they fit on an up! - I've watched the video and it seems that they fit onto a part that is already on the car?

Am I being dumb?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeh, the hangers screw into the original plate holes and then you clip the numberplates into the hangers

·
Registered
144 Posts
Where can you get legal pressed plates from? i wasnt aware of any legal ones.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Number plates have to comply with the regulation laid down by the DVLA pressed plates as those used in Germany are not allowed in the UK.

·
Registered
265 Posts
EDIT - post removed, really can't be arsed getting into a debate over the legality of pressed metal plates

Edited by: bazves

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Why would you not put them online? What difference does it make, they're in the public domain everyday anyway.
The Wolfsburg plate surrounds are ace, I've a very similar set myself.

·
Registered
124 Posts
If you do not know I suggest you ask a policeman I am not going to tell you on line but the previous poster has just put his illegal plates on line what do you think plod will do if they have a few minutes spare.
All cars in Germany have these surrounds but it is very easy to steal the plates being just clipped in, mine have my insurance company on them you can basically have what you want chrome,gold or black finish.Edited by: collos25

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I just asked the one sat next to me at my desk, he knows not why.
For the record. I know not why either. I don't see the issue.
I've also never had plates stolen from my car, it's not too hard to steal plates if they stuck/screwed on either.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Worcester might be different to where my mother lives in Yorkshire where they get stolen in large numbers mind you nobody is going to steal a pair that are illegal,they are also starting to be stolen in Germany where I live most of the year so its just not a UK thing.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I don't know whether they are illegal or not but I do know that if they are the worst that will happen is that the Rozzers will pull you over and tell you to change 'em or else. It has happened to a couple of people I know with 'interesting' number plates. One guy got pulled 3 times before he got bored with it. On that basis. I'd go for it.Edited by: Allybasher

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have metal press plates, plenty of cops have seen it an i never been pulled over. My neighbour is a police officer and he loves them! From my understanding, you can have metal pressed plates as long as they tick all the boxes in the DVLA rules. There is also a guy with a vw scirocco that's had them now for over two years an no problems

·
Registered
202 Posts
i don't get what's so wow about having plate hangers?? They cone standard with every car in Italy and usally have the dealers advertisment on the border... People hate them here and often complain that they should get money off the car seen as they are advertising the dealer for free :-D hahaha :-D most people just remove them and screw the plates back in without the hangers...

·
Registered
124 Posts
GPVG26 said:
I have metal press plates, plenty of cops have seen it an i never been pulled over. My neighbour is a police officer and he loves them! From my understanding, you can have metal pressed plates as long as they tick all the boxes in the DVLA rules. There is also a guy with a vw scirocco that's had them now for over two years an no problems
You are very lucky for a start the material that they are made of is illegal but you go on as you are its your money that will pay the fine oh and may I suggest you read the DVLA regulations regarding number plates.I do not think its wise to use the statement as a defence when you are charged "well my neighbour is a policeman "

1 - 20 of 42 Posts