Up Owners Club banner

Would you choose Maps and More as an option if you got another up?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Sorry if this has been done before, please forgive me (I'm a newbie!)

I was just wondering out of all the members who would choose Maps and More again if they got another up or choose it for the first time if they didn't get it as an option on their current up as I know some people don't really like it...

Thanks

·
Registered
811 Posts
Yes. I think it is great value for money and works well 90% of the time.

·
Registered
176 Posts
For me, for the costs involved I would have no hesitation in ordering it again and I would (and have!) recommended it to other buyers.

Sure, it does have some irritations butI still believe it is very well integrated and there is nothing else comparable for this "budget" end of the market.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Only annoying things are:

a) The fact that it needs mounting/unmounting. I would have preferred a more integrated fitment

and

b) The stupid layout of some of the touch controls.

For the money, and considering the extra functionality it unleashes, it's a bit of a bargain.

Not sure why people say their smartphone satnav is better. My phones have iOS 6 and Jellybean Android and I've not used a better satnav on either (Apple Maps, Google Maps and some third party apps). Sure, some are prettier, but that's not really the point, is it?

·
Registered
20 Posts
<div style="margin-left: 2px; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; : rgb255, 255, 255; ">At Shanghai Motor Show VW have managed to make a Beetle with an iPhone dock and apps into a new model on show. The iBeetle's iPhone connection looks like it has similar features to the M+Mhttp://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/vw-ibeetle-has-its-own-in-car-iphone-apps-50010993/

Edited by: idn-up!

·
Registered
393 Posts
I definitely think it's worth it's money. Just being able to have your phone connected to it and the audio through the cars speakers instead of from the sta nav unit, like on our other Garmin unit makes a big difference. I like the album art on your MP3's, radio station logo's, even the door open view. The only down side, as already mentioned is mounting/un-mounting it all the time. But when you consider all it's functions, and that you have "built in" sat nav on a car of this price is excellent. Try specifying these sort of options on another car, and you'll be looking at nearly a grand or more. It's very rare to find this kind of kit on any small car. I think at £300, it's a bargain!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Compared to my Garmin nüvi® 3490 the Navigon Maps & More looks like a brick on a bracket..! Screen quality of the M&M compared to the Garmin is about the same as a brick as well. Maps on the Garmin are far less cluttered as they are on the M&M.

What I really hate about the M&M is its media player. WARNING, you can expect your up! to change lanes while trying to navigate your music collection..!! Music folder icons are small and hard to select. Searching music takes time and your eyes will NOT be on the road while trying to find your favourite tune..!! For driving safety and shear music enjoyment M&M desperately needs to be able to do playlists or genres, unfortunately you're restricted to selecting just artist/albums/songs.

My dream would be if Garmin/Navigon made a mounting bracket and software which allows one to use the nüvi in an up!

Edited by: vwild1

·
Registered
393 Posts
Good point vwild1! Navigating your music files is a real pain, and very awkward. I have to rest my hand on the dash so that I can keep my finger still long enough to go up another level with my folders, or select an artist etc. I also agree with you about the cluttered map screen. Compared to my Nuvi, which doesn't have the boxes over the map. I still think it's a great system, it just needs some updating/tweaking by VW.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
As the driver of the vehicle I like to concentrate on driving rather than being entertained. I use maps and more for navigation, statistics and hands free telephone calls. If my passenger wants to play around with the music function they are welcome to but for me it is only background noise. Those of you fiddling with your gadgets whilst driving are braking the law and an accident waiting to happen.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I only change my album etc when I'm stationery (usually before I leave) and listen to it until I get to my destination. I'd rather just press the radio button or switch it off than concentrate on that on the M+M unit. It's far too distracting to do whilst driving!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Beevee said:
Those of you fiddling with your gadgets whilst driving are braking the law and an accident waiting to happen.

That's very presumptive and not a little condescending of you.

Best of luck operating the maps, phone and statistics functions by thought control!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I use voice control. Works very well thank you.

·
Registered
811 Posts
M4796P said:
I only change my album etc when I'm stationery (usually before I leave) and listen to it until I get to my destination. I'd rather just press the radio button or switch it off than concentrate on that on the M+M unit. It's far too distracting to do whilst driving!

I usually stream the music from my phone, which works fine. I find it easier to select the music on my phone so I've not tried it on M&M

·
Registered
851 Posts
vwild1 said:
Compared to my Garmin nüvi® 3490 the Navigon Maps & More looks like a brick on a bracket..! Screen quality of the M&M compared to the Garmin is about the same as a brick as well. Maps on the Garmin are far less cluttered as they are on the M&M.  

What I really hate about the M&M is its media player. WARNING, you can expect your up! to change lanes while trying to navigate your music collection..!! Music folder icons are small and hard to select. Searching music takes time and your eyes will NOT be on the road while trying to find your favourite tune..!! For driving safety and shear music enjoyment M&M desperately needs to be able to do playlists or genres, unfortunately you're restricted to selecting just artist/albums/songs.

My dream would be if Garmin/Navigon made a mounting bracket and software which allows one to use the nüvi in an up!
That's why I prefer to use my iPhone docked in the Mountek 5000 cd slot. I can tell Siri want song, album, playlist to play and so safely keeping my eyes on the road.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm not a very big fan of my M+M. If I were to do it over, I would buy an iPad Mini and integrate it into my dash. I already use Navigon on my iPad and iPhone, and I think it works A LOT better than the M+M which, funny enough, is also Navigon. This way the iPad would also play iTunes/Spotify directly to the stereo, only shame would be the need for an external handsfree kit, on the other hand, with an external handsfree kit I could get a real microphone instead of the poor one in the M+M.

Well, that's just me being negative

1 - 15 of 15 Posts