Up Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Waiting for brand new Red high up to come and we know that my wife will be annoyed by reflections from the shiny black dash panels. She gets migraines so is sensitive to these things. Options to solve....buy new basic model plastic panels which are not shiny....probably expensive and takes the car to basic spec.
Wrap the panels in some finish which is not shiny . Thinking of maybe carbon fibre effect but matt finish.
Are the panels east to take off, they look as if they would just clip out?
Any suggestions for a possible type of wrap?
Has anyone else tried this?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Or just leave it for a while and see how she gets on.
I don't think it will come of that easy.
Reflections from dash have never been a problem for me you might find it's ok.Edited by: Derkie54

·
Registered
851 Posts
I had the shiny black dash in my move up and yes,it does flicker with reflections - but worse for me was how badly it shows the dust. When i upgraded the car to a tungsten silver High up in March 14, i specified the silver dash and it is much less reflective and doesn't show the dust as badly.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have to say I've not had any problems with the dash giving me migraines and I get really bad migraines a lot. I would say give it a go and see how she feels driving it abit.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Orbital sander and grit 700 and go over the dash

·
Registered
41 Posts
Two tins of Plastidip, roll of masking tape and a scalpel!
Mask off everything but the dash and spray the dash in Plastidip!
It's a great matt rubberised finished lasts a lifetime and if you don't like it just peel it off like the plastic wrapping you get on new white goods
If you don't know what Plastidip is look on YouTube

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Jeeeezzzz plasti dip will give you a massive migraine for weeks till the smell has cleared and is a ball a he if not masked correctly! Tryin to get all the overspray offEdited by: Itzben

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yeah your right, taking to the dash with an orbital sander is a far better idea! It would be easy to sand the dash without catching any of the interior, the fine dust created wouldn't cause any odors or be a problem to clean up and if it turned out pants you could always turn back the clock

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ignoring the silly but amusing suggestions...the problem is that my wife gets migraines triggered by flashing lights in her peripheral vision, which for those who do not know what peripheral means is "from the side" . So sunglasses do not help as that nasty flashing gets around the side of the lenses. Car comes in two weeks so starting to get excited about that now. Have just bought a VW workshop manual on discs so once I get that loaded I will know much more about the car.

·
Read Only
110 Posts
Peripheral is actually defined as
Relating to or situated on the edge or periphery of something:
not "from the side".
I was actually trying to be helpful with a easy fix that did not involve changing a brand new cars interior.
I should have been a bit clearer and said wraparound sunglasses or fashionable ladies glasses with wide arms, found even in South Cumbria, as I know having lived there in the past and having to work there part of the year.
Facing forward whilst in the car may well minimise the chances of nasty flashing getting around the sides.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
still think the easiest solution is a matt wrap.....cheap and non-permanent.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes that is the way I am heading , though until the car arrives and we try it not certain yet. I will report back hopefully with pictures if we wrap it.
So "that's a wrap" for now!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts