·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suppose we might just get a twin diesel varient that would be fun....0-60mph over a bank holiday weekend !

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Vw uk on facebook said the diesel isn't going anywhere near the up!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Yep, it looks weird and quite intriguing. Price will be high, though.

Performance isn't bad:

Power/torque: Engine 47bhp/88.5lb ft, motor 27bhp/103lb ft. Total
system output in ""boosting""� mode 68bhp/103lb ft

Top speed: 100mph (electronically restricted)

Acceleration: 0-62mph in 12.7sec

Fuel economy: 313.8mpg EU Combined

CO2 emissions: 21g/km

VED band: A (£0)

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Supermegamonkee said:
Love the look of the xl1... Pity it's going to be about 50k!
I've seen 100,000 euros. A problem with this car is that it has a carbon fibre body which costs a packet, and then of course it is being produced in small numbers, so unit cost will naturally be high. But I presume it is a technology demonstrator, and some of the magic will transfer to other cars. If they can produce an Up+ that does 100mpg, that would be amazing. Unfortunately steel frames and body panels are heavy but cheap, so is 100mpg really realistic?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I want that steering wheel!! also would love to wrap my dash in carbon fibrevinyl now :) but shiny black looks classy apparently :)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
has it got three wheels? I would not want to change the back tyre is it went flat... ;o)

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
ptae2000e said:
XL1 isn't lightweight either, with ~800kg it's almost the same as Up. And hopefully soon this will be on sale:
http://phys.org/news/2012-07-wheel-hub-motor-concept-hybrid.html
... so I think, Up will be modifiable into a great hybrid car (order of magnitude cheaper than Xl1, yet of comparable performance).
Good point. The Up is about 930 Kg, so not that much more, and perhaps some cleverness could reduce that. They mention that it is quite low, so you'd lose some internal space, and it has low rolling resistance tyres. It has a diesel engine, which helps, and maybe it is extra efficient. Apparently without charging from the mains you get 141 mpg. Regenerative braking will help. Still, most of us do daily ~30 mile commutes each way, so doing the outward journey on battery would save a lot of money.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Leif said:
4 wheels, the rear ones have fairings to improve fuel consumption, obviously you can't to that on the front wheels.
You can.
Porsche did it on the first 356s - or their predecessors.
Trouble is, it makes the car wider, thus increasing weight and aerodynamic drag.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
_1S_ said:
Leif said:
4 wheels, the rear ones have fairings to improve fuel consumption, obviously you can't to that on the front wheels.
You can.
Porsche did it on the first 356s - or their predecessors.
Trouble is, it makes the car wider, thus increasing weight and aerodynamic drag.
Yes, as you say, you can add fairings, but not to improve fuel consumption.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Wow, would really like one of these. Only problem would be the wheels. 115/80 x 15 are way too small for me.

My mate round the corner reckons you could get some really wide 245/35 x 22 inch under the bodywork. Well, when I say under the bodywork you'd probably have to cut it about a bit, but that doesn't really matter cuz it would look really good when it's done.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts