Up Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's the best way to trigger a cold snap, I suppose, but the forecast for the next few weeks is yet more 'moist & mild'. The manual says winter tyres should only be used when the average temperature is below +7 and we've barely dipped below that all season here in the north of France.

Good excuse to put the 16" wheels + spacers on for the first time since I got the car last November

Before (winter wheels & tyres):

After:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Supermegamonkee said:
Lovely garage btw :)
Thx, it's my hideaway when the kids come back home! It's the first time I've seen the 16" wheels/spacers on my car and its looks are totally transformed. They are actually from a Black Up!, hence the black centre caps. I paid just £320 for all 4 brand new wheels & tyres from a guy who had just taken delivery of his car and wanted to put some 17" wheels on.

·
Registered
523 Posts
That sounds like a billy bargain! I think the wheel alone is £175 each, so you have done well there.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I certainly didn't suffer for not having winter tyres. Mind you I never have!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Wanting to be prepared, I have had new steel wheels/winter tyres ready to fit since the very end of October (anticipating that the Daily Express forecast of 100 days of snow and the coldest Xmas for 200 years etc would come to pass) but as we just went from Autumn to Spring without a Winter at all, I don't even know it they fit or not or even if they are any good! Let's hope we have a lovely, cold, snowy winter starting this coming November. I'm not greedy and about 6" of snow that lasts for a few months will be perfect.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Beevee said:
I certainly didn't suffer for not having winter tyres. Mind you I never have!!
My set came in handy last year and no doubt a few years to come. Braking performance is extremely good with them on. I see it £300 well spent but hey each to their own

·
Registered
523 Posts
Robbyrook said:
Wanting to be prepared, I have had new steel wheels/winter tyres ready to fit since the very end of October (anticipating that the Daily Express forecast of 100 days of snow and the coldest Xmas for 200 years etc would come to pass) but as we just went from Autumn to Spring without a Winter at all, I don't even know it they fit or not or even if they are any good!  Let's hope we have a lovely, cold, snowy winter starting this coming November.  I'm not greedy and about 6" of snow that lasts for a few months will be perfect.

Hehe, at least you're ready for the snow in August

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had never tried winter tyres before, but as I had bought that second set of 16" Classics, I thought I'd ask the dealer to put winter tyres on the steel wheels that came with the car at delivery. As it turns out with the 'winter' we've had this year, it was a bit of a waste of time, but at least I have them available.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I cannot believe that we've not seen any sort of meaningful snow fall here, in the UK, either.

Although, I'm inclined to agree that you may, indeed, be tempting fate, by taking the decision to remove the winter tyres.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Definitely tempting fate! I too put my summer tyres/wheels back on again yesterday, encouraged by the weather forecast, but this morning all has changed and it looks as though the temperatures are on a downward trend - bugger! And I diligently cleaned the winter wheels, removed stones from the treads and put them in their tyre bags for the summer - double bugger!!

More seriously, I found that the winter tyres (165/70 x 14 Continental TS850s) performed very well indeed on standing water and on the rare frosty roads that we've had down here, they certainly inspired confidence. The steering was also a lot lighter than on my usual 185/55 x 16s, worryingly so at first, but one soon gets used to it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Miserable Git said:
I cannot believe that we've not seen any sort of meaningful snow fall here, in the UK, either.

Although, I'm inclined to agree that you may, indeed, be tempting fate, by taking the decision to remove the winter tyres.
Here in Kent we had snow through March last year, so don't get the tan lotion and shades out just yet.

Collecting our Up! In March but have some winter wheels/tyres standing by. We had a set for our last car and they got us home (village on a hill) when others were abandoning their cars.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Last year I took the winter tyres off my Mondeo at the beginning of March, then 7 days later....

4" of snow in North Kent, fortunately I had snow socks in the boot so I was able to get home by taking the back roads, all main roads to our village were blocked with stuck cars on hills.

This year I am leaving the winters on both cars until the end of March at least.

Can't wait to get the 15" alloys back on the Mii rather than the 14" steels, however it does look a bit of a sleeper with black wheels & black centre caps.

I have 175 65 14 Continental TS800 tyres on the Mii currently & I have been happy with them. The ride is definitely better than with the 15" alloys on. Last week I had a loan Mii Sport and couldn't really feel any difference with steering feel between the two cars.
When the winter tyres were new they did feel a bit weird, but I was told they need longer to bed in compared to summer tyres.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
was thinking of swapping back to my summers mid march but I guess it really is an invitation for the snow to come!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts