Up Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving my up around 5.20pm yesterday (I later found out that the Wind/Gust speed peaked at around this time in Manchester) when a large branch got blown off a huge tree and landed on the up's bonnet, then rolled up the windscreen and over the roof! It was about twice the size of the up, but luckily it wasn't that heavy. I got out and the only damage was some marked/scratched paintwork, a torn wiperblade and a wing mirror had been pushed back but was ok.

So I think the up is a tough little car! was surprised the bonnet survived and no cracks to the windscreen. Hoping the scratches will polish out, then will be back to normal again

I can't remember driving in worse conditions, further along my route there were fence panels & corrugated sheets flying across roads, was pretty scary.

Anyone else have any drama's?

·
Registered
957 Posts
I drove through some deep surface water and it lifted the whole front of the car up.When these things happen you fear the worst but it looks as if the UP is a bit more robust than we think

·
Registered
106 Posts
I sometimes wonder why people go out and drive in weather like that. Like, is it something so very important that you want to risk your life getting there?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Blackpuppy said:
I sometimes wonder why people go out and drive in weather like that. Like, is it something so very important that you want to risk your life getting there?
You have to get home from work and how do you see surface water in the dark and even if you do how do you avoid it when there are cars right behind you and cars coming the other way !!

One day I will be rich and just come out on sunny days

Edited by: Derkie54

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Blackpuppy said:
That would be good....."sorry I cannot come and visit your ill/sick/dying family member because it is too stormy!"

I'm afraid real life isn't that nice in the UK National Health Service

That's why I minimise risk......slow, careful driving, winter tyres etc etc

Indeed it would be nice to only drive around on sunny warm days......we'd all buy convertibles
.....or ride bicycles

No offence intended

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Blackpuppy said:
I was driving home from work and collecting my daughter from nursery, so I didn't have much choice, there was no weather warning that morning saying 'stay at home folks'.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
The broadcasts about England show really horrific scenes ...

In Germany we have the "severe weather office" www.unwetterzentrale.de
On the website you can see the weather forecast for Germany up to individual postal codes.

It warns when storm, thunder storms, snow, ice or heavy rain is forecasted.
At the moment everything is okay except it might become slippery between 8 p.m. and 10 a.m. ...

But it doesn't make much sense when your whole district is two feet under water ...

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm glad to hear you survived the incident to tell the tale.

Although, I bet you were thankful that the UP! was awarded with a '5 star' NCAP rating.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Lastnight it hit Nordrhein-Westfalen (Northrhine Westphalia / NRW) in Germany ...

Six dead persons, parts Duesseldorf and the Ruhrgebiet are destroyed.

At 10 pm the thunderstorm hit Dortmund ...
I thought, "what's that?" because suddenly I could hardly listen to "Ice Age 4" on German TV ...
The lightnings came more often and brightened the sky more than the rockets on new years eve.
Really heavy storm and horizontally "falling" rain ...
My up! stood brave in the tree alley on the other side of the road ...

In the morning branches and leaves lay all around - but my up! is okay.
Next thunderstorm is forecasted for this evening / tonight ...

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Scary stuff.Keep safe Cadfael !

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Thanks!

I worry more about GarethB, who lives in Düsseldorf ...
Hope he and his Cross up! kept save.

He's not the only English man in Düsseldorf - but his cross up! is really rare!*

They said we had 300 km (200 miles) traffic jam in NRW this morning. Parts of the A40 (Autobahn) were closed. This is like closing the M6 between Birmingham and Wolverhampton - or the M25 ...

My colleague didn't come to work today. She lives in Bochum which was also hit very hard (and uses the A40 to come to work).

* sorry for this "kind of humor" ...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts