Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone.

I couldn’t find any reviews of these tyres on here. Given that they’re one of the few reputable options for the 195/40 stock tyre size, I thought I might as well write a quick review in case anybody was considering them.

As a bit of context, I’ve had my GTI about a month. In that time I've done close to 1800 miles and I absolutely love it apart from three common complaints: The suspension is unnecessarily firm given that it’s not all that great in the twists (soon to be sorted with some coilovers); the exhaust note is tame (soon to be sorted with a Road+); and the stock tyres are, in my opinion, utterly terrible (sorted about a week ago, hence this review).

I downsized to the GTI from a relatively powerful BMW, my 5th in fact, all of which always had Michelin PSS as I am well aware of the importance of getting the best tyres you can afford. The whole reason I purchased the GTI, however, was to save money as I now live in central Cardiff as a postgrad student and was paying abhorrent tax and insurance on 320 horses that I rarely used. Yet Dunlops worked out at a similar price to MPSS fronts for the old bimmer.

So, I broke with my usual mantra of no metaphorical corner cutting on tyres and, well, cut some metaphorical corners. I wanted to see what bang for my buck I could get on the stock tyre size and if I felt they were still lacking then next time around either splash out on Dunlops or jump up to 205 and splash out on some Michelins. The Yokos cost me £92 a corner on black circles after a £10 off per tyre discount.

250 Welsh country lane miles later on the lowest specified PSI setting and I am pretty impressed. Turn in response is better in all conditions, although still a little underwhelming which I think may in part be due to the stock damping (tbf, I’ve found if you just have faith that it will turn in then it does actually bring itself round, despite the lack of feel).

Grip and speed through corners in the dry has definitely improved; these are much more confidence inspiring than the stock tyres. Grip through corners in the wet is fantastic, these tyres were recommended to me for wet performance and they’ve lived up to that. They get an A rating in wet weather grip which I believe is just based on stopping distance, but is some indication of wet performance at least. On that note, stopping is all round better, particularly in the wet, as I have discovered numerous times while hammering around tight lanes in the rain. The traction control light flashes less frequently out of corners and from a standing start there’s less spin. Eco-wise I still get over 40MPG even when gunning it and I did a shortish motorway journey the other day and returned mid 50s. Basically, no noticeable MPG difference to the stock tyres (not that I care - as someone who has owned straight 6's for years, anything over 30 and I’m happy).

Overall I am very pleased with my spend, new tyres were definitely needed and have really brought the car closer to what I want/expect from it. To anyone considering this rubber I would say do it if the more expensive options are out of your budget like they were for me!

This probably wasn’t actually a “quick review” after all - apologies and hope it helps someone!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi everyone.

I couldn’t find any reviews of these tyres on here. Given that they’re one of the few reputable options for the 195/40 stock tyre size, I thought I might as well write a quick review in case anybody was considering them.

As a bit of context, I’ve had my GTI about a month. In that time I've done close to 1800 miles and I absolutely love it apart from three common complaints: The suspension is unnecessarily firm given that it’s not all that great in the twists (soon to be sorted with some coilovers); the exhaust note is tame (soon to be sorted with a Road+); and the stock tyres are, in my opinion, utterly terrible (sorted about a week ago, hence this review).

I downsized to the GTI from a relatively powerful BMW, my 5th in fact, all of which always had Michelin PSS as I am well aware of the importance of getting the best tyres you can afford. The whole reason I purchased the GTI, however, was to save money as I now live in central Cardiff as a postgrad student and was paying abhorrent tax and insurance on 320 horses that I rarely used. Yet Dunlops worked out at a similar price to MPSS fronts for the old bimmer.

So, I broke with my usual mantra of no metaphorical corner cutting on tyres and, well, cut some metaphorical corners. I wanted to see what bang for my buck I could get on the stock tyre size and if I felt they were still lacking then next time around either splash out on Dunlops or jump up to 205 and splash out on some Michelins. The Yokos cost me £92 a corner on black circles after a £10 off per tyre discount.

250 Welsh country lane miles later on the lowest specified PSI setting and I am pretty impressed. Turn in response is better in all conditions, although still a little underwhelming which I think may in part be due to the stock damping (tbf, I’ve found it you just have faith that it will turn in it does actually bring itself round, despite the lack of feel).

Grip and speed through corners in the dry has definitely improved; these are much more confidence inspiring than the stock tyres. Grip through corners in the wet is fantastic, these tyres were recommended to me for wet performance and they’ve lived up to that. They get an A rating in wet weather grip which I believe is just based on stopping distance, but is some indication of wet performance at least. On that note, stopping is all round better, particularly in the wet, as I have discovered numerous times while hammering around tight lanes in the rain. The traction control light flashes less frequently out of corners and from a standing start there’s less spin. Eco-wise I still get over 40MPG even when gunning it and I did a shortish motorway journey the other day and returned mid 50s. Basically, no noticeable MPG difference to the stock tyres (not that I care - as someone who has owned straight 6's for years, anything over 30 and I’m happy).

Overall I am very pleased with my spend, new tyres were definitely needed and have really brought the car closer to what I want/expect from it. To anyone considering this rubber I would say do it if the more expensive options are out of your budget like they were for me!

This probably wasn’t actually a “quick review” after all - apologies and hope it helps someone!
Thanks for taking the time to write the review, a good read and very helpful.

I'm looking to replace the horrible standard tyres on my GTI at some point with Michelin PS4 205s, and these are obtainable with discount at around what you paid for the Yokos. Did you notice a decent improvement in ride quality on the Yokos? This is my biggest single motivation to change and would also be interested to hear in due course if the coilovers you have planned further assist in softening a ride that I often find borderline unacceptable. Please, keep us informed!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No problem. Honestly there has been no improvement in ride comfort in either general use or over the kinds of bumps/potholes which cause the crunching. Unacceptable is how I’d describe it also tbh.

I think due to the 17” wheels, anything that’s gonna cause that is still gonna cause it if you’re on the same profile tyre as stock. No first hand experience here but I doubt even 205s are gonna change it massively, due to the large wheel size. I’ve read on here that coilovers can improve the situation somewhat, but again I’m not expecting it to feel like a Passat all of a sudden. Maybe a combo of coilovers and larger tyres would make a noticeable difference, but that’s just speculating and like I said, not sure it will ever be considered comfortable.

Interesting to hear about the PS4s coming in about the same, sounds like I’ve sorted what to do next time!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just put 195/50R15 with Michelin Pilot Sport 3 and you will feell like a Passat all of a sudden.
This car should never be sold with 17 inch wheels, it's just for marketing purposes.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Good to get some feedback, I put my 17s back on with stock tyres for a few weeks when it went in for a service and quickly went back to 16s, the weight of the wheels does not help either.

Another one to put in the mix, for me I would be tempted by the P Zero Neros or Conti 3s, currently got the P Zeros on another car and impressed and run 3s before.

Swift Sport has same tyre size as the Up GTI and the ones I have see are shod in Contis, I actually think my Alpins are better than the Goodyears,

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Just put 195/50R15 with Michelin Pilot Sport 3 and you will feell like a Passat all of a sudden.
This car should never be selled with 17 inch wheels, it's just for marketing purposes.
This. If i had kept my car it would definitely have got smaller wheels on.

·
Registered
195 Posts
On original standard Goodyear Efficientgrip tyres, running 32PSI front and 30PSI rear cold tyre pressures on mine, I would describe the ride quality as impressive for a car of its size, and have also received comments to the same effect from friends, one of whom is the biggest car critic I have ever met. Furthermore, for general use and the occasional spirited driving, I find the handling and steering feel are also good with these settings.

For some reason, what in real terms is only a circa 10% difference in pressure, and even this being subjective when we consider warm pressures, the difference in ride quality, steering feel and suspension noise between running this and even the official “comfort” values of 35 PSI front and 32 PSI rear, really is night and day.

As for the official “Standard” recommended pressures of 39PSI front and 42PSI rear, not much to say really, other than potentially damaging to the suspension.

Just as a second opinion, last week, I increased the pressures from 32 PSI front and 30 PSI rear to the recommended “comfort” pressures, and the car just felt “wrong”, and unenjoyable to drive. The difference in ride quality was so significant that I left them like this for when the wife went to work in the car the following day. When she came home she complained about the car suddenly being bumpy today and that when she turned in, she felt nervous and unconfident, and she’s certainly not a nervous driver ! .... It’s not just me then.

Of course, they’re back to 32F/30R and we’re both very happy with the car.

I suspect that fuel economy may be a contributory factor to what, based on 30 years of driving experience would appear from feel to be unusually high manufacturers recommended tyre pressures for this particular vehicle, but irrespective of this, my pressures will remain as they are !

Of course there are limits at both ends of the spectrum which must be respected in the interest of safety above all else, but working within these parameters, I always suggest that tyres should be inflated to give the right feel for the driver, depending on their preference, and that the manufacturers official figures should be taken with a pinch of salt.

·
Registered
453 Posts
On original standard Goodyear Efficientgrip tyres, running 32PSI front and 30PSI rear cold tyre pressures on mine, I would describe the ride quality as impressive for a car of its size, and have also received comments to the same effect from friends, one of whom is the biggest car critic I have ever met. Furthermore, for general use and the occasional spirited driving, I find the handling and steering feel are also good with these settings.

For some reason, what in real terms is only a circa 10% difference in pressure, and even this being subjective when we consider warm pressures, the difference in ride quality, steering feel and suspension noise between running this and even the official “comfort” values of 35 PSI front and 32 PSI rear, really is night and day.
Great post and when i put my stock wheels on for a while again I may well swap around with these.

·
Registered
737 Posts

I totally agree., and have been saying this on the forum since I took delivery of my Gti in June. I run 30 psi all round, and the car rides better and grips better than with those standard pressures, IMO way too high. I also ran these pressures on 17" Polygon wheels on a previous 15 plate 75bhp High Up which was fitted with Dunlop Sport Maxiis, and saw no detriment or odd tyre wear in 25000 miles, likewise the Goodyears on my Gti are not showing any wierd treadwear.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Goodyear fan at all, but with sensible tyre pressures, they perform well enough for the road, and I don't hang around.

As for the official “Standard” recommended pressures of 39PSI front and 42PSI rear, not much to say really, other than potentially damaging to the suspension.

Just as a second opinion, last week, I increased the pressures from 32 PSI front and 30 PSI rear to the recommended “comfort” pressures, and the car just felt “wrong”, and unenjoyable to drive. The difference in ride quality was so significant that I left them like this for when the wife went to work in the car the following day. When she came home she complained about the car suddenly being bumpy today and that when she turned in, she felt nervous and unconfident, and she’s certainly not a nervous driver ! .... It’s not just me then.

I suspect that fuel economy may be a contributory factor to what, based on 30 years of driving experience would appear from feel to be unusually high manufacturers recommended tyre pressures for this particular vehicle, but irrespective of this, my pressures will remain as they are !

Of course there are limits at both ends of the spectrum which must be respected in the interest of safety above all else, but working within these parameters, I always suggest that tyres should be inflated to give the right feel for the driver, depending on their preference, and that the manufacturers official figures should be taken with a pinch of salt.

·
Banned
645 Posts
The Good Years are simply there for economy and emissions reasons.
Their grip level is far from ideal for a warm hatchback, and cornering hard, they offer little road feedback, but provide epic fuel economy potential.

The only two tyres that I've found to really assist in offering both grip and excellent road feedback, are Pirelli P Zeros, and Bridgestone Potenzas.

I had the Pirellis on my previous car, the one I am not allowed to mention, and with a set of Coilovers, and the suspension dropped to the floor, the car was glued to the road, and the tyres grip was epic, and feedback through the steering was superb

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
God help you all if you ever decide to drop to lower psi levels and stray away from manufacturer recommended.

Actually, no, try it, you might like it.

·
Registered
119 Posts

Just experimented with my GTI by dropping from standard "Comfort" settings to 31psi front, 29psi rear. What a difference! Not perfect as you might expect given the dreadful hard standard Goodyear eco tyres, but no more crashing over potholes and drain covers requiring chiropractor intervention. Makes me wonder what further improvements to ride quality may be gained by applying the same philosophy to Michelin PS4 205's ....

Thanks for the heads up Jacara, much appreciated(y)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just experimented with my GTI by dropping from standard "Comfort" settings to 31psi front, 29psi rear. What a difference! Not perfect as you might expect given the dreadful hard standard Goodyear eco tyres, but no more crashing over potholes and drain covers requiring chiropractor intervention. Makes me wonder what further improvements to ride quality may be gained by applying the same philosophy to Michelin PS4 205's ....

Thanks for the heads up Jacara, much appreciated(y)

·
Registered
63 Posts
I fitted 205/45 17 Michelin Pilot Sport 4s running at 2.3bar and 2.1.(About 32 and 30 psi.) Really excellent. On any tyre make if it's raining, try putting a little more in the rears than the front's, as it really helps the turn-in as it slightly unsettles the rear.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I fitted 205/45 17 Michelin Pilot Sport 4s running at 2.3bar and 2.1.(About 32 and 30 psi.) Really excellent. On any tyre make if it's raining, try putting a little more in the rears than the front's, as it really helps the turn-in as it slightly unsettles the rear.
You went for 45 profile on the PS4s?

·
Registered
453 Posts
The only two tyres that I've found to really assist in offering both grip and excellent road feedback, are Pirelli P Zeros, and Bridgestone Potenzas.
I think you are the first person I have ever encountered to truly sing the praises of Bridgestone Potenzas, I endured 4 sets of these, three sets on Golf Rs on one on a Polo Blue GT and hated them but they refused to die as just too hard

I recommend you try PS4 at some point, they will be a revelation, even my wife is appreciating them.

PZero N1 has been a pleasant surprise when a bit of heat in them and reasonable and would be my first choice on GTI in oem size.

·
Banned
645 Posts
I had the Potenzas fitted to my A1, superb grip, and if you kept the tyre pressures constant, wear was excellent, and fuel economy being a diesel, was remarkable.
I've always been a Bridgestone fan, and their my manufacturer of choice.

I've had various tyres from the Japanese manufacturer, and have never had any issues with them. always great quality, and rubber that really lasts.

The highlife were the B451s , fitted to my Citroen C1 HDi., the only car I've owned that tyre choice effected fuel economy.
On several occasions I saw better than a genuine 90 mpg from that car, fuel efficiency was from another planet.

Pirellis are superb, but the rubber wears quite quickly, never had that issue with Bridestone.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yep...the speedo error is so small.In mph: 71.2 correct shows 70 on the clock.(your speedo is between 5-8% reading high anyway) Revs per mile is 832 against 844.
What's the ride quality like on 45 profiles? Noticeable improvement?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts