Up Owners Club banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
What's the ride quality like on 45 profiles? Noticeable improvement?
Spook...sorry but i have been a pratt! 😖 They are 40s!! I spend too much time with cars and tyres sizes in my job. But Fyi the ride is considerably better than the standard Goodyears! I went for the Mich as the walls and tyre edge last so much longer than Contis etc..which tend to round-off on both the road and general tyre testing on the Track.Yoko do an A-052 of the same size which would give amazing grip and feel if that's what you are after.I have them on my Exige S.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone.

I couldn’t find any reviews of these tyres on here. Given that they’re one of the few reputable options for the 195/40 stock tyre size, I thought I might as well write a quick review in case anybody was considering them.

As a bit of context, I’ve had my GTI about a month. In that time I've done close to 1800 miles and I absolutely love it apart from three common complaints: The suspension is unnecessarily firm given that it’s not all that great in the twists (soon to be sorted with some coilovers); the exhaust note is tame (soon to be sorted with a Road+); and the stock tyres are, in my opinion, utterly terrible (sorted about a week ago, hence this review).

I downsized to the GTI from a relatively powerful BMW, my 5th in fact, all of which always had Michelin PSS as I am well aware of the importance of getting the best tyres you can afford. The whole reason I purchased the GTI, however, was to save money as I now live in central Cardiff as a postgrad student and was paying abhorrent tax and insurance on 320 horses that I rarely used. Yet Dunlops worked out at a similar price to MPSS fronts for the old bimmer.

So, I broke with my usual mantra of no metaphorical corner cutting on tyres and, well, cut some metaphorical corners. I wanted to see what bang for my buck I could get on the stock tyre size and if I felt they were still lacking then next time around either splash out on Dunlops or jump up to 205 and splash out on some Michelins. The Yokos cost me £92 a corner on black circles after a £10 off per tyre discount.

250 Welsh country lane miles later on the lowest specified PSI setting and I am pretty impressed. Turn in response is better in all conditions, although still a little underwhelming which I think may in part be due to the stock damping (tbf, I’ve found if you just have faith that it will turn in then it does actually bring itself round, despite the lack of feel).

Grip and speed through corners in the dry has definitely improved; these are much more confidence inspiring than the stock tyres. Grip through corners in the wet is fantastic, these tyres were recommended to me for wet performance and they’ve lived up to that. They get an A rating in wet weather grip which I believe is just based on stopping distance, but is some indication of wet performance at least. On that note, stopping is all round better, particularly in the wet, as I have discovered numerous times while hammering around tight lanes in the rain. The traction control light flashes less frequently out of corners and from a standing start there’s less spin. Eco-wise I still get over 40MPG even when gunning it and I did a shortish motorway journey the other day and returned mid 50s. Basically, no noticeable MPG difference to the stock tyres (not that I care - as someone who has owned straight 6's for years, anything over 30 and I’m happy).

Overall I am very pleased with my spend, new tyres were definitely needed and have really brought the car closer to what I want/expect from it. To anyone considering this rubber I would say do it if the more expensive options are out of your budget like they were for me!

This probably wasn’t actually a “quick review” after all - apologies and hope it helps someone!
Hi everyone.

I couldn’t find any reviews of these tyres on here. Given that they’re one of the few reputable options for the 195/40 stock tyre size, I thought I might as well write a quick review in case anybody was considering them.

As a bit of context, I’ve had my GTI about a month. In that time I've done close to 1800 miles and I absolutely love it apart from three common complaints: The suspension is unnecessarily firm given that it’s not all that great in the twists (soon to be sorted with some coilovers); the exhaust note is tame (soon to be sorted with a Road+); and the stock tyres are, in my opinion, utterly terrible (sorted about a week ago, hence this review).

I downsized to the GTI from a relatively powerful BMW, my 5th in fact, all of which always had Michelin PSS as I am well aware of the importance of getting the best tyres you can afford. The whole reason I purchased the GTI, however, was to save money as I now live in central Cardiff as a postgrad student and was paying abhorrent tax and insurance on 320 horses that I rarely used. Yet Dunlops worked out at a similar price to MPSS fronts for the old bimmer.

So, I broke with my usual mantra of no metaphorical corner cutting on tyres and, well, cut some metaphorical corners. I wanted to see what bang for my buck I could get on the stock tyre size and if I felt they were still lacking then next time around either splash out on Dunlops or jump up to 205 and splash out on some Michelins. The Yokos cost me £92 a corner on black circles after a £10 off per tyre discount.

250 Welsh country lane miles later on the lowest specified PSI setting and I am pretty impressed. Turn in response is better in all conditions, although still a little underwhelming which I think may in part be due to the stock damping (tbf, I’ve found if you just have faith that it will turn in then it does actually bring itself round, despite the lack of feel).

Grip and speed through corners in the dry has definitely improved; these are much more confidence inspiring than the stock tyres. Grip through corners in the wet is fantastic, these tyres were recommended to me for wet performance and they’ve lived up to that. They get an A rating in wet weather grip which I believe is just based on stopping distance, but is some indication of wet performance at least. On that note, stopping is all round better, particularly in the wet, as I have discovered numerous times while hammering around tight lanes in the rain. The traction control light flashes less frequently out of corners and from a standing start there’s less spin. Eco-wise I still get over 40MPG even when gunning it and I did a shortish motorway journey the other day and returned mid 50s. Basically, no noticeable MPG difference to the stock tyres (not that I care - as someone who has owned straight 6's for years, anything over 30 and I’m happy).

Overall I am very pleased with my spend, new tyres were definitely needed and have really brought the car closer to what I want/expect from it. To anyone considering this rubber I would say do it if the more expensive options are out of your budget like they were for me!

This probably wasn’t actually a “quick review” after all - apologies and hope it helps someone!
Better RED,

1 Year in - 195/40 R17 - Cuts and Scrapes - Pot Hole & Blowout -

Have just put

On Front

Yokohama Advent Fleva v701 195/45 R17

Do Not Feel the road so hard any more

Tire has some give to it cornering

On Back

Goodyear Wrangler All Season 205/50 R17

Biggest thing Back End does not Skip Any more Going Around Corners Fast And Sharp

Travel is Better.

Over all the Car Has A Swagger to it and is not as sharp , but I can live with it , still sticks to the road.

Plan on doing track days and will change the set up .

May go as stated by others with 205/40 R16 all around.

Yes the Tires are not all the same size and have had dash warning .

Will see were it all goes.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts